Monday, September 9, 2013

pynchon

Still in a Pynchon frame of mind. Next in the stack for me is a first-read of Mason & Dixon. The opening pages are delightful, giggly fun, but I am not ready to do this. Takes more concentration than I can muster just now, the period English. Really want to read it... soon. Meantime, back to a re-read of Inherent Vice, nice and easy for bedtime. Looking forward to the movie, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, lots of good info at Cigarettes & Red Vines . Have to link the song here, love Aimee Mann...

The new Pynchon comes out in a week, Bleeding Edge, which will go immediately to the top of my stack. Not many writers I will go out to get the latest on release day, it's nice to still get excited about new works! Some early reviews:

Pynchonicity: The Paris Review

Wired

The Slate Book Review: “A Search Result With No Instructions on How to Look for It”

A website popped up related to the impending release, hashslingrz (apparently the name of a computer-security company in the novel). There are interesting little stories linked to each of the pictures on the main page. Curious too is a trailer for the book, William Gibson (@GreatDismal) calls it, "Absolutely the best novel trailer so far in the history of the world"

Along these lines, might as well link a couple of videos for Gravity's Rainbow. The first is my favorite of the YouTube readers, hearing the German words is fantastic.

There was a cassette audiobook released (out of print now?) which someone has posted in three parts. Over 11 hours each! It's nuts, or as one commenter aptly noted, "bananas". Hearing this dramatic reading is so refreshing, even though I have read the book many many times. It will take me some time to get through it, but I love it. Part I... dig in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment